Buying a home can be nerve-wracking, especially if you’re a first-time home buyer. Not only is this probably the biggest purchase of your life, but the process is complicated and fraught with unfamiliar lingo and surprise expenses. And, I bet you didn’t know you have options when it comes to buying a home!
To make the first-time home buying journey a little less stressful, here are a few tips to help you navigate the process more smoothly and save money.
- Choose the right lender and get pre-approved before you start looking at homes. A Mortgage professional can educate you and help you navigate all the options and products available. That way you can make the choice that is best for you and your family.
- Start saving NOW! Set aside money for down payments, closing cost, moving expenses and for the after you move in expenses. It’s easy to forget things like power/water hookup fees, movers, appliances and stocking your kitchen. Watch this quick video about down payment options and myths.
- Work with a realtor. A realtor can help you with so much more than just finding the perfect home and negotiating a great price. It’s important to start the process with a realtor you like and trust from the very beginning.
- Research state and local down payment assistance options. Your Mortgage professional can help with these as well. Here is a link to what North Carolina has to offer.
- Finally, use a checklist or make notes. You will have so many options swimming around in your head you will forget half of what you were told. Make notes! Then, you can read back over them and ask questions you did not or forgot to ask. Remember….. NEVER be afraid to ask questions.
This guest post was written by Erin Hooper with Movement Mortgage.
Erin Hooper is a Loan Officer at Movement Mortgage, where she works with clients from start to finish, whether they are buying a new home, or refinancing their existing home. Erin has worked with reputable real estate agencies all across NC to help homeowners and new buyers secure a loan that suits their budget and goals. You can expect 100% transparency, great customer care, and no surprises when working with Erin.
Erin lives in Forest City, NC and enjoys spending time hiking and traveling with her children, Bailey and Cole.
Email her – firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about what she and Movement Mortgage have to offer here.
If you are considering buying or selling real estate in Western NC, always think of Washburn Real Estate to take care of you and make the process easier and less stressful.